Self-introductory Email

To: Brad Blackstone
From: Kelly Ng
Subject: Self-introductory Email

Dear Brad,

My name is Kelly Ng. I am a hospitality business undergraduate at Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT).

Prior to joining SIT, I graduated with a diploma in Hospitality and Tourism Management at Temasek Polytechnic. During the last semester of polytechnic, I interned at Intercontinental Singapore as a housekeeping trainee. It was one of the least popular internship choices among the students due to its unattractive job scope.  However, as I was not ready to explore the front-operations, being a housekeeping trainee was the best option for me. I explored the various housekeeping roles such as room attendant and floor supervisor. The role that I felt was the most challenging was the rooms coordinator. It required me to multi-task as well as to be clear-minded all the time. At the same time, it was the most enjoyable role as I get to speak with colleagues from the different departments. I grew to like housekeeping and eventually continued working there as a part-timer for one and a half years.

In terms of communication, my strength is being a good listener. I developed this skill during my internship. As a room coordinator, I would need to point out relevant information and point out details from the different calls. In addition, my friends and colleagues often look for me for advice as I listen and give them my honest feedback. However, my weakness would be being monotonous during presentations. It feels rather awkward when I try to add in intonations to my speech.

From Career Professional Development II, I hope to improve my weaknesses and explore my different strengths. To add on, I would like to learn more on how to make the service experience more memorable for both the hotel employees and guests.

Warmest regards,
Kelly



*Blogs that I have commented on:
1. Xenia
2. Natasha
3. Peiling

Comments

  1. Dear Kelly,

    Thank you for sharing in this comprehensive self-introduction letter. You do a good job responding to the scope of the assignment. You describe how your interest in hospitality developed from your internship, which you cover in good detail, and you address a communication strength and weakness and the goals you have for this module. I appreciate learning about your housekeeping experience and how that has become something that you seem to enjoy. I just wonder what you mean when you state that "I will need to point out relevant information and point out details from the different calls."

    Of course, language use is the basis for all written communication, so it might be good for you to also consider these points:

    1. verb use
    -- it was the most enjoyable role as I get to speak with colleagues > (tense)
    -- As a room coordinator, I will need to point out > (tense)
    -- However, my weakness will be being > (tense)
    -- To add on, I will like to learn more > (tense) To add on, I would like to learn more

    2. phrasing
    -- for both the hotel employees and guest. > (plural or singular?)

    I look forward to working with you further this term.

    Cheers,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Brad,

      Thank you for your helpful comments! I have edited them as above.

      For "I will need to point out relevant information and point out details from the different calls.", I meant that I would need to listen for important information and relay them to my fellow colleagues. Sometimes, I would need to prioritise and assign duties accordingly. I hope that answers your question.

      I look forward to learn more about professional development from you this semester!

      Warmest regards,
      Kelly

      Delete
    2. Thanks very much, Kelly, for the explanation!

      Best wishes for CNY,

      Brad

      Delete
  2. Dear Kelly

    From your self-introduction email, I can tell that you are actually an extrovert but you require some time to warm up. I hope that through this module you would be able to open up. Additionally, it would be great if you can give the frontline operations some chance as I believe you would do well there especially you are a great listener.

    Have a nice day!

    Warmest Regards

    Jeaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jeaine,

      Thank you for your comments! I am surprised to hear that you find me to be an extrovert. Why do you say so? All along, I thought I was known to be more of an introvert. However, I might sometimes be more vocal and lively around close friends. Perhaps, relating back to the Johari window model, this is my blind spot. In addition, I will be trying out the front office department during the upcoming IWSP. Hopefully, it will be an enjoyable experience.

      Warmest regards,
      Kelly

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts